Georg Jensen Sterling Silver Grape Goblet #263A
The Grape design was first introduced with the Grape Bowls in 1918. The wine goblet on stem 263A was added to the selection in 1980 when it was decided to create this wine goblet based on the Grape Candlesticks. Three wine goblets were designed; one with amethyst, one with rubies and one in pure sterling silver.
As most of Georg Jensen’s designs this wine goblets is in the Art Nouveau style with the characteristic ornamental curved lines, organic structures, decorative ornaments of flora and fauna, and the use of honest and skilfully crafted materials.
Like a vine, the stem is twisted and uneven, and small bunches of grapes are hanging down pendulously. Also in these hollowware pieces Georg Jensen has incorporated the nature as decoration. The surface of the actual goblet and the foot has the characteristic hammer marks, which Georg Jensen used to softens the reflection of light in the silver in order to create the greyish shimmer he associated with moonlight.
The Chaser has worked on the stem to make the pattern clearer and has also applied the hammer marks.
Before soldering together the foot and the stem and then the goblet, the silversmith spends a significant amount of time lining up the pieces to make sure that the angles are absolutely perfect. The smallest inaccuracy will make the goblet look crooked.
The small bunches of grapes are cast and polished individually and then soldered on the twisted branch – a heavy string of silver – which the silversmith has bent to fit underneath the goblet. The silversmith then solders the branch with the grapes onto the goblet.
Materials: Sterling silver, rubies
Measurements: H 17.2 cm / 6.77 inches Ø: 9 cm / 3.54 inches
Design year: 1980
- Please refer to our full Delivery & Returns page
- We are pleased to be able to offer FREE Shipping on all orders
- All orders are sent tracked & signed delivery and are fully insured via our own insurers
- UK orders are sent Royal Mail Signed-for and USA orders are sent using UPS (If you're shipping to a street address)
- For your security, merchandise can only be shipped to the PayPal billing address.
- EUROPE: 5-6 working days
- USA, CANADA & FAR EAST: 6-10 working days
- REST OF WORLD: 10-12 working days
- Returns are accepted in person at a D. J. Massey & Son Showroom or by post
- Jewellery can be returned within 60 days and Watches can be returned within 30 days
- You cannot return custom-designed merchandise, class rings, special-ordered watches or any personalised engraved merchandise
- We are unable to accept exchanges via the post unless the item has arrived damaged. All exchanges must be made in person at a D. J. Massey & Son Showroom
- Jewellery can be exchanged within 60 days and Watches can be exchanged within 30 days
- You cannot exchange custom-designed merchandise, class rings, special-ordered watches or any personalised engraved merchandise