Product Information9ct Gold Victorian Snake and Heart Brooch
9ct Gold Brooch given as Wedding Present in 1845.
Out of stock
This is a Victorian Snake and Heart Brooch with coiled snake set with ruby eyes and holding a heart in it’s mouth which is set with a turquoise, both the snake and heart are hand engraved with a foliate scroll pattern.
Acid testing indicates it is made from 9ct. gold.
The reverse of the snake is engraved “Margaret Wilson Blakesley August 21st. 1845”.
The snake is a symbol of wisdom and eternity and along with the heart held in its mouth symbolizes eternal love. The turquoise is the birthstone for December and I am assuming that Margaret who was born about 1823 may have been born in that month.
The brooch was a present to Margaret on her wedding day from her husband Reverend Joseph Williams Blakesley on 21/08/1845, in Bungay Suffolk. Blakesley who was a close friend of Tennyson, sought relief from the English winter of 1857-58 in Algeria on Doctors orders. He wrote a book as an account of the experience titled “Four Months in Algeria”. In 1863 he was made Canon of Canterbury Cathedral and in 1872 Dean of Lincoln Cathedral. Margaret and Joseph had ten children, one of which Miss Alicia Blakesley, who as a painter exhibited at the Royal Society of British Artists in 1893 and at the Royal Academy in 1896.
- Please refer to our full Delivery & Returns page
- We are pleased to be able to offer FREE Shipping on all orders
- All orders are sent tracked & signed delivery and are fully insured via our own insurers
- UK orders are sent Royal Mail Signed-for and USA orders are sent using UPS (If you're shipping to a street address)
- For your security, merchandise can only be shipped to the PayPal billing address.
- EUROPE: 5-6 working days
- USA, CANADA & FAR EAST: 6-10 working days
- REST OF WORLD: 10-12 working days
- Returns are accepted in person at a D. J. Massey & Son Showroom or by post
- Jewellery can be returned within 60 days and Watches can be returned within 30 days
- You cannot return custom-designed merchandise, class rings, special-ordered watches or any personalised engraved merchandise
- We are unable to accept exchanges via the post unless the item has arrived damaged. All exchanges must be made in person at a D. J. Massey & Son Showroom
- Jewellery can be exchanged within 60 days and Watches can be exchanged within 30 days
- You cannot exchange custom-designed merchandise, class rings, special-ordered watches or any personalised engraved merchandise
we buy your old gold and silver
Click here to find out more >